The holiday season is upon us and that means one thing. No, we're not talking about giving gifts to your loved ones or trimming the tree with your family. It's time for your company's Christmas party! 'Tis the season to get drunk on your boss' dime.
And while we advise you to take full advantage of this opportunity, we beg of you one thing. Don't be the That Girl. You know the one we mean. The one who could give pre-rehab Lindsay Lohan a run for her party-hearty money. That Girl who has to call in sick on Monday to nurse a hangover and hang her head in shame. That Girl who's the main reason for the cash bar at next year's party. Don't be "That Girl."
Luckily, it's easy to have a great a deservedly wild time without becoming the archetypal office good-times girl - all it takes is a bit of preparation, a dash of foresight and a few smart decisions to ensure that you won't have to worry about sideways glances and silent snickering on Monday morning.
1. Don't wear anything too formal or too slutty. This isn't prom and it's not a street corner.
2. Do choose something you feel great in. If you aren't comfortable, you may go a little overboard on the liquid courage to feel more at ease, which can be a slippery, red-cheeked gin-soaked slope.
3. Don't wear makeup that needs to be touched up through out the night. Frequent trips to the bathroom to "powder your nose" may give coworkers the wrong impression.
4. Do use cosmetics that will have your back, whether you're throwing back shots with your boss or teaching the sales department how to Dougie. Apply long-lasting blinc Mascara - it won't flake, smudge or run so you can party hard without fear.
5. Don't show off your shot-gunning, whiskey-chugging skills. It's an open bar, not a college drinking contest.
6. Do drink like you mean it. You aren't footing the bill and let's face it - your company owes you.
7. Don't overshare. While liquor may make your lips looser, lock it up. It may seem like a hilarious story at the time, but do you really want your coworkers to know how you won that contest on spring break in Cancun come Monday morning?
8. Do keep your ears open. Just because you aren't spilling secrets doesn't mean others won't - and when they're not your own stories, they are wildly entertaining!